Sunday, January 27, 2008

We Thank Thee, Oh God, for a Prophet!

Today, at approximately 7:00 pm Mountain Time, President Gordon Bitner Hinckley, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, passed away.
President Hinckley served as President for the Church since 1995 after serving several decade as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I was fourteen when he became president of the Church. During his presidency, I gained an unshakable testimony of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He called me to serve in the Ecuador Quito Mission. I met and married Misty, and our two children were born. I graduated from BYU with a degree in history. And I almost have finished my degree in law at Baylor University.

I will always remember him as the Prophet of greatest influence in my life. For it was during the formative years that I had the privilege of his ministry. I will miss him.

I testify that Gordon Bitner Hinckely was in fact the Prophet of the Lord Jesus Christ. I testify that he walked and talked with Jesus and that he was Jesus' mouthpiece. I also testify that President Hinckely has returned to Jesus and continues his ministry to those who did not receive the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this life.

Thomas Spencer Monson who is now the Senior Apostle will soon be called, set apart, and ordained President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I also testify that President Monson is also a Prophet and the Lord's chosen servant to guide His Church in this time, the prelude to the Lord's Second coming.

So I'll ask you to forgive me for not writing part three of the Law of Grace. I've got mixed emotions right now: sorrow for losing a mentor, but joy because President Hinckley has returned home after a life well lived.
To read the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' official press release of the Prophet's passing, click here.

3 comments:

Mark Osler said...

It sounds like there is much to be thankful for as his life is remembered.

Travis Shumate said...

Hey there! I don't know if you remember me, but you taught me in the MTC in Feb-April 03. Nice to see you're doing well. I found your blog through a google search of Pres. Hinckley. I appreciate the guidance that you gave me as I entered the mission field. It helped me love the work and be an effective missionary!!

Travis L. Shumate

Craig said...

Elder Shumate! Of course I remember you. How are you? Please keep in touch.